Monday 21 January 2019

Where The Line Is Drawn X

At the scene outside the police station (see the previous post), a bus-full of Israeli soldiers were stamping their heavy boots on the floor while chanting, "We want cola." It was in this atmosphere that the army officer told the two human rights lawyers to do him a favor and leave. Normal military discipline and accountability were absent.

"...my father had been returning home from his office when he was murdered in the driveway of [his and his wife's] house by a collaborator working for Israel. Much as we tried to get the Israeli authorities to investigate properly and bring the perpetrator to justice, our efforts failed and no one was ever charged with my father's murder... I suspected the government was relieved by the death of a moderate peace-seeker like my father. His death marked for me the end of my expectation of a peaceful settlement.
"I had done all I could to pursue the investigation and keep it going." (p. 94)

"Israel was fighting for the retention of this land. We were fighting to end the occupation in accordance with international law, which gave us the right to resist. That was how I saw it." (p. 95)

No comments:

Post a Comment