Wednesday 10 July 2019

Predictions

HG Wells wrote:

Anticipations;
Mind At The End Of Its Tether.

I thought that a character in a novel by Aldous Huxley published in 1919 said that the next big social crash would come in about twenty years... but I cannot find a novel with that year of publication in Huxley's bibliography.

"'If you ask me,' said Berry, 'we're doomed,'..."
-Dornford Yates, And Berry Came Too (London, 1936), CHAPTER III, p. 94.

"'...my opinion is that, before many years have gone by, this civilization of ours is going to come to an end.'"
-Dornford Yates, The Berry Scene (London, 1947), CHAPTER VIII, p. 223.

"'The end of this civilization is overdue.'"
-Dornford Yates, Ne'er-Do-Well (Cornwall, 2001), p. 9.

Yates and his characters decried the passing away of the kind of society in which they had been happy whereas I disagree with them and applaud many of the social changes that happened in the twentieth century. However, did Yates possess some deeper insight into the nature of the current civilization?

1 comment:

  1. Kaor, Paul!

    And I have some sympathy for Dornford Yates and his characters. There are some social changes I frankly despise. Such as "legalized" abortion, which is nothing but shameless MURDER.

    I can't possibly tell if Dornford Yates possessed a deeper understanding of the nature of our civilization that he could foretell the end of the West in a relatively short time.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete